This past Saturday I met a couple mama friends at Ikea for a book discussion. Of course there was food involved 🙂 Ruth couldn’t eat their home fry style potatoes due to her LO’s allergies so she opted for bacon and their tomato soup. To our surprise it was vegan & gluten free. It looked pretty tasty. Even though I made paleo minestrone I now had a hankering for a tomato soup. When most people think tomato soup they probably think of a creamy Campbells style soup. I like bites of fresh tomato. I can’t eat cream which is usually used to thicken. Hmmmm, Ikea’s soup sounds even more delicious…
So, came up with this creation. Simple, yet tasty.
1) Put a big ol’ jar of home canned tomatoes in a pot & mash them a bit. Not to a pulp, just so there are bite size pieces. Add a handful of Italian herbs, a bay leaf, dash of salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
2) Add approx 2c of veg stock and bring to simmer.
3) Cut up one zucchini, a yellow squash. Add to pot.
4) Let come to a slow boil, reduce to a simmer and let veggies soften.
5) When zucchini and squash almost done add 3/4 can of drained wax beans (if it was summer Id say add fresh ones before zucchini and squash and let them cook for a few minutes…it’s winter, no fresh beans).
6) Let everything finish cooking/warming/melding flavors and then serve! Yummy yum yum yum.
Besides, who wants to go outside in nasty blowing snow when you could be enjoying a warm bowl of soup? 🙂