On a cold, blustery, we aren’t going anywhere cause it’s cold and my nose hurts kinda morning I want a hot breakfast.
Can’t eat oats to many days in a row. Eggs are out of the picture. Bacon is frozen. No leftovers as today is “cooking day”. What is a girl to do?
Thought about it and decided to make a quick “rice pudding” on the stove top with Anthony’s leftover brown rice. Crap, he ate the rice.
This is getting serious…time to get creative again! Let me tell you, this creativity paid off.
Sticky Breakfast Quinoa
– 1/2c quinoa
– 1.25c unsweetened coconut milk
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1 Tbs honey
– 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
(Your choice of toppings: sliced banana, chopped nuts, raisins, dried fruits, other fresh fruit…possibilities are endless)
1) Measure out everything except toppings into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and let simmer with lid on the pan. Cut up/get out your toppings.
2) About 10mins in, stir quinoa. Stir every few minutes until most but not all liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 20mins (normal quinoa cook time). It will be sticky looking when you stir (almost how marshmallows look melted and sticking to your spoon when making rice crispy treats).
3) Spoon out 1/2 the mixture, add your topping and dive in. If you don’t eat it all save the rest for the next morning 🙂
I’m thinking a pumpkin spice one might have to happen next time…