Did you know coconut milk can be used for ANYTHING? This week I’ve used it in cereal, to thicken soup, to make cofee creamer, to thicken pan sauces…lots of stuff when I don’t want to use dairy. I haven’t wanted dairy more in the last 3mths than I have this past week! Usually we have rice milk as our default, but I found a few cans on sale (even though I hate canned goods)…however, my favorite concoction with coconut had to be my mashed potatoes and turnips.
Anthony brought home about a dozen turnips from the garden a few days ago. Tryed to think of a few recipes I could make, well, mashed potatoes and turnips sounded good…with bbq chicken, yup! Oh my goodness it was DELICIOUS. Even without any dairy. 🙂 and my hubby even liked them!!!!
Recipe: potato and turnip mash
– 2 lbs potatoes peeled and chopped
– 2 lbs turnips peeled and chopped
– 3 bay leaves
– 1 clove garlic peeled, whole not chopped
– 3 Tbs coconut fat (the solid stuff on top of an unshaken can of coconut milk)
– 1Tbs olive oil
– salt & pepper to taste
1) bring potatoes & turnips to boil in salted water with bay leave & garlic
2) when fork tender, drain, remove bay leaves & garlic, mash with coconut cream and oil.
3) salt & pepper to taste!
Chicken we just covered some drumsticks in my favorite GF/DF bbq sauce & baked it at 375 for about a half hour 🙂
In case you’re wondering about the coffee creamer, all I do is mix coconut milk, vanilla extract & either sugar/agave/honey till desired flavor and sweetness. Keep in resealable jar in fridge for up to a week. Yummy! 🙂