Gluten free, a phrase A LOT of people are hearing now a days. Well, I’ve become a gluten (and dairy free) convert, and mostly a believer. After over 2.5 weeks of the same 5-6 foods, then gradually adding them back in I’ve come to a few conclusions.
1) Ana’s system can tolerate almost all fruits and vegetables (except apples, broccoli, cauliflower) TINY amounts of gluten but no dairy.
2) when I eat well, no dairy or gluten, I have fewer headaches, wake up refreshed, have more energy, more patience, stable moods etc. It is wonderful!
3) it’s not hard to do, just takes some creativity & cutting out all the processed stuff most of us rely on to make life easier.
4) Toddlers love it! Lil has always loved fresh fruits and veggies, but with the quantity we have in the house now she’s eating so many!!!! And asks for them by name too 🙂
5) I have lost almost all my baby weight, back down to the same weight I was before having Lillian! Now if only my hips would shrink back to normal 😉
A bunch of people I know look at me like I’m certifiably nuts when I tell them I did this and how difficult cutting out these two items truly is. Well, here’s why!
There are a million and one hidden sources of dairy including, but not limited to: artificial sweeteners, baking mixes, body products (yes, shampoo, conditioner, soap!), bread, candy/gum, chicken broth, chocolate, medications, hot dogs, peanut butter, many soy products…yeah, it’s in everything!
Gluten is the same way. Most people don’t realize how much wheat has infiltrated every product on the market either…Baked beans, food colorings/additives, corn starch, baking powder, gravies, Lunch meats, gravies, soups, sausages…
So why? Why is gluten so bad for us? My belief isnt that either gluten or dairy are inherently evil. No, I personally think its more how the two items are processed, genetically modified, overused and prevalent in our diet. Everything in moderation right?
I like what this article has to say, “American strains of wheat have a much higher gluten content (which is needed to make light, fluffy Wonder Bread and giant bagels) than those traditionally found in Europe. This super-gluten was recently introduced into our agricultural food supply and now has “infected” nearly all wheat strains in America.”.
So am I saying everyone should strip their houses of every dairy and gluten based product? No. Am I saying everyone has Celiac’s? No. What I am saying is ive been seeing a correlation to health problems and these two substances in many people I know. And I know that eliminating them from my diet completly for a few short weeks was an amazing change for me.
I mean realistically, how can eating more fruits, vegetables, rice and quinoa (and some grass fed meats in there) really be bad for you? Unless you spontaneously burst into flames every time you eat them? Ha, and I don’t hear about that on the news to often 😉